The activity of making Healing Boxes®, personalizing them, and then giving them away provides multiple benefits to patients. These include, but are not limited to the following.
Key Benefits of Healing Boxes® for the Patient:
- Distracts patients from their pain and anxiety surrounding their illness
- Relieves boredom from long waits during medical procedures or while patient is recuperating – an engaging, hands-on activity
- Encourages a sense of accomplishment (i.e. most patients can make the simple-to-fold, origami boxes)
- Can facilitate meaningful communication between patients and volunteers or other caregivers through the patient’s expression of inner feelings
- Promotes inspiration, empowerment, and a healing mindset to patients through the act of making and giving them to others – an expression of altruistic love
- Helps patients build connections to their own networks as well as to hospital support people
Key Benefits of Healing Boxes® for the Hospital, Clinic, or Care Center:
- Improves the patient satisfaction experience, thus stimulating healing
- Helps improve the overall mood in infusion centers, waiting rooms, and throughout the hospital
- Provides a vehicle for volunteers and support staff to provide more empathetic care giving
- Adds a low-cost activity to the complementary services the hospital or care center currently offers and gives an opportunity to bring visibility to other complementary services
- Is a tangible memento of the visit that generates feelings of goodwill towards the hospital or care center
For more information about how you might set up your own Healing Boxes® program, please contact Jon Gorham at email@example.com.
Healing Ourselves, Healing One Another, and Healing the World